Wednesday 10 March 2010

This Is Your Life!

I've been a teacher for 13 years now and I love it but it can really make you feel old at times.


It's just after New Year, my brother, girlfriend and some of their friends have decided to make an afternoon/evening of it in Liverpool. Following a nosh up and a couple of cheeky pints we have made our way to the Cavern Pub to watch the legendary and magnificent KAPPA band play. Now I could write a whole blog about this band alone, but that will keep for another time. They are like nothing you will ever see, hear or experience anywhere else and amazingly their gigs are generally free. If I could pass on one pearl of wisdom for life, it would be to get yourselves to the next KAPPA gig - enough said!

Anyway, back to the blog in question. We've had an amazing night and have made our way back to catch the train. I should point out, we have had a couple more cheeky pints and are feeling quite content with the world. At the station, my eye is caught by two young and gorgeous things who keep looking over and giggling. I said we were content with the world, not rolling drunk so I'm a little perplexed by their interest and laughter. Shrugging it off we get onto the train and settle in for the journey.

The two girls have sat down in the seats across the aisle. After a while, one of them leans forward and asks

"er, did you used to teach in R*&%$£" school?"

I look over at them and the years, glam clothes and make up fall away and I am staring into the eyes of two five your olds in my first class as a Newly Qualified Teacher!

"Oh my God, I used to teach you!" I gasp torn between horror at them being old enough to be out drinking and gratification that I made such an impact. Any teacher will tell you that you never forget your first ever class and it's true. I even have a framed photo of them on my wall. They were a wonderful class, great children, lovely parents, and a really happy time in my career. And I'm not just saying that because of the following response!

"yes, we loved you, you let us use those lovely gel pens to write with and you let us bring in our own music to play to the class. We had such good fun in your class. You were our best teacher at primary school"

I've got to be honest, I''m really quite touched and proud. Here are two mature, articulate girls who are both at college and making their way in life and it seems as if I may have contributed in some small way to their journey. And then my lovely brother who has had rather more cheeky beers than me leans over and says

"I bet she was a tyrant about the sand pit. Go on tell us, was she, was she?"

I give him my best Miss Sunshine is not amused glare which roughly translated means -you are in a whole heap of trouble when we get off the train! Luckily for me, my lovely ex-pupils defend me valiantly before leaving the train at their stop.

I feel ancient! I've reached the time in my life when I can join the ranks of old teachers who dread and fear the immortal words "Didn't you used to teach me?" All that's left now is to be wheeled onto 'This is Your Life'. Surely one of my ex-pupils will be famous enough for that...

No comments:

Post a Comment