Sunday 21 March 2010

Night 2 at Butlins


Day 2 dawned bright and sunny! Actually that's a blatant lie! It was grey, damp, windy and cold.

Our lovely Hen Kylie had an urge to do Bingo. So at 1.30 we got ourselves to the Irish Bar and stocked up on tickets and 'dobbers'. Dobbers are the felts you use to cover your numbers as they're called. Like the whole Butlins experience, our group was made up of Dobber Bingo Virgins with the exception of Pepsi who patiently explained the rules. MC Hammer (usually a bright boy) didn't really get it until game 3 but we had to admire his 'taking part' spirit!

Bingo is a SERIOUS business! Music is turned off, mobiles switched to silent, and scarily the doors are locked. Blimey, I thought it was meant to be a bit of light hearted fun! "Eyes down, ready for your first number" and we were off. Well fun or not, I managed to win £90 on one game. And MC Hammer won £35. His previous game may also have proved a winner but we'll never know as Pepsi got over excited and threw the remains of her lager shandy all over his ticket and leg. A true professional, MC Hammer continued to play the game unfazed while the rest of us collapsed around him and had to be brought back in line by the Bingo caller who was barely 18!

After such excitement, a Nana-Nap was definitely needed. We had big plans and Big Hair to get ready for the night ahead. The 80's night was the one we had all been looking forward to. Outfits had been lovingly described and we were breathless with anticipation. And it was all we could have hoped for...Every hideous, clashing neon colour in the spectrum was called into play with wonderful effect (and I use that term loosely and in the context of 80's fashion).

Pepsi, Sonya and myself rocked up at the boys flat to find that LeeRoy had surpassed himself with an outfit straight from Fame (hence the nickname). But his flatmates Vanilla Ice and Pineapple Studio had gone a step further - shellsuits, in horrible colours with legwarmers and sweatbands. Special!

As we entered the flat, LeeRoy took one look at my back-combed ponytail emerging from the top of my visor and said "is that a hairpiece? Your hair is huge!" "No hairpiece honey, it's all mine!" It's fair to say we had embraced the 80's theme. And again, the other hen and stags had made a similar effort. Too much effort in one case - a full on Borat Mankini. I'm sorry but no one wants to see that at any time of the day, never mind before the watershed on a Saturday night - but hey, at least it was Neon Green and in keeping with the theme!

The DJ (who was rubbish) played a repeat set with a few extra gems including Vanilla Ice. Cue the 'Running Man' in 5 inch heels. Knees, ankles and thighs all kaput and a bangle bruise from vigorous arm movements - how I suffer for my art! Thank goodness, Red Wine was cut off in its prime tonight and replaced by the ultimate 80's classic 'I've Had the Time of My Life'. Pineapple Studio and I looked at each other, gave the nod and I was up the air like Baby from Dirty Dancing!

Actually, not strictly true - I ran and jumped, he caught and lifted but my leg lines were less than perfect if not non-existent. I've got 3 weeks to get in shape for the wedding disco and get those leg lines sorted. I'd better get the Jane Fonda Work Out on the go without delay!

No comments:

Post a Comment