Sunday 7 March 2010

It's A Beautiful City

For two years now I've been keen to leave the Big Smoke and head back 'ooop North'. The fresh air, sea and proper chips have been calling me homeward for some time. The vibrancy, turmoil and chaos that I once loved about being down here have become more and more tiring as time goes on. The sheer frustration of not being able to pop to the shops for a loaf and a pint of milk without negotiating a bewildering traffic system and then having to pay to park for a mere 10 minutes is beyond belief. Plus the knowledge that no matter how many man hours I put in at work, I will never be able to live in anything bigger than my current 1 bedroom flat is a lowering thought. Friends up north have houses with 4 bedrooms, a garden and a drive full of cars for the same money. Maths was never my strong point but even I can see this doesn't add up!

And yet, I will miss this mad and crazy place.

Today saw me heading to town to meet a friend for lunch. Having stopped off at Waterstones, I headed to central London clutching a great book. First stop Liverpool Street for a quick mooch around Spitalfields Market. The market houses an eclectic mix of stalls including vintage clothes, books, jewellery, bags, greetings cards and delis. There is always something interesting to look at, always some eccentric shoppers to people watch, always a great selection of cafes to lure you in for a herbal tea and a slice of organic cake. THIS IS SOMETHING I WILL MISS! I don't drink regular tea and coffee, preferring to indulge in what my brother calls Hippy Tea. I have learnt to take it for granted that all cafes will stock a selection of Hippy Teas for customers like me. But I have a suspicion that even Earl Grey will be considered outlandish in some cafes north of the Watford Gap, never mind Rooibos. If I'm wrong I am both sorry and delighted in equal measure!

So from Spitalfields I made my way to the steps of St. Paul's to meet M. M is from my home town and like me migrated down south for job opportunities and for a taste of excitement. As we sat having our pasta lunch in one of the many chain restaurants he turned to me and said "I mean look, we are having lunch right next to St. Paul's Cathedral! It's kind of mad isn't it?" As I turned to look at the impressive and majestic building it dawned on me that yes, it is mad! I've got to the point where all these amazing landmarks no longer make me catch my breath. They have become as ordinary and mundane as the town hall or pier back at home. And now that M has got me thinking I realise that this city is full of beautiful, majestic and impressive buildings and places. It's made me want to explore them all over again before I leave.

And so instead of going straight home I decide to make the most of the sun and incredibly bracing wind and cross the Millennium Bridge. I crossed this bridge on the day it opened for all of one hour before they were forced to shut it because of the swaying! It's nice to think I've been part of history. Every time I cross this bridge I think back to that day and remember what a drag it was getting to The Globe before it opened. The wind is icy and the bridge is full of people with that typically British walk (even the tourists develop it very quickly), head down against the elements and plough on regardless.

At the other side of the bridge I turn and look back at St. Paul's. It is truly beautiful. Designed and built in the 1600's, nothing that has been built in the last two centuries can really touch it in terms of design or craftmanship. It seems that even fate admires it - during WW2, every building around it was bombed and destroyed leaving St. Paul's like a beacon in a circle of destruction. It certainly makes you think.

The cold has got too much for me now and I walk back towards the Cathedral this time sparing a look for what is on either side of the bridge. And there it is! The view down the river to Westminster and then,the other way to Tower Bridge. A view that will be forever imprinted on my mind.

When the sun is out, there is no denying this is a mighty beautiful city!

No comments:

Post a Comment