Wednesday 5 May 2010

Walking With Dinosaurs

In two weeks I will be in charge of a party of school children on a day out to the Natural History Museum. Being in charge of a class of 30 on a daily basis carries stresses and strains. However, these pale into insignificance when compared to the overwhelming responsibilities that come with co-ordinating 100 small children (3-5 year olds) and 39 adults. Parents entrust us with their precious bundles of joy and it's my job to make sure that the same number come back as go! No pressure then!

To control damage limitation we do a risk assessment to check out things like toilets, uneven flooring, steps etc etc. This probably sounds over the top to people who don't work with children but believe me when it comes to being in charge of other people's children in a huge and busy London Museum, no risk assessment can be too thorough.

And so my two colleagues and I made our way to the museum to assess the suitability of the venue.

I should point out that our topic is Dinosaurs hence the visit to the museum. If you haven't been can I take a minute to recommend that you do. We only looked around the Dinosaur section and I can honestly say it was amazing.

The last time I was in this museum, I was 15. The only dinosaur I remembered being there was the huge skeleton in the main entrance hall. Don't be alarmed, he's still there looking huge and majestic. But now there is also a whole exhibition devoted to the walking giants of the past. This room is dripping with skeletons that have been found all around the world. The most bizarre being in a Belgian Coal Mine where they found 34 dinosaur skeletons just lying around waiting to be found. There are small models of moving dinosaurs perched at regular intervals. And, even more exciting in one room there is a HUGE, life size replica of T-Rex complete with sound effects and fake blood dripping from his sabre like teeth. If the kids aren't terrified I expect a refund!

Whilst wandering around this wonderful exhibition, it dawned on me that really, history is pretty amazing. Millions of years ago, these huge creatures ruled the blue and green sphere that we know as earth. Millions of years ago these huge creatures were in charge. And although they died out (for reasons still not fully explained or understood), they have left their legacy. All modern day reptiles are descended from them. A dinosaur nest complete with eggs was discovered in South America (I think) and unbelievably, the nesting set up is identical to the one used by reptiles today. Pretty cool huh? Well I think so.

I know the children will have a ball. For some of them, it will be the first time they've been on a day out; the first time they've been on a coach; the first time they've had a picnic lunch. Yes these days are exhausting! It's draining beyond belief to be constantly counting, constantly checking, constantly looking. I generally get back to school with a banging headache, aching feet and an exhausted body. But I wouldn't give days like this up for anything. Every child should have the opportunity to see these wonderful things. And if I am the only way that will be possible so be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment