Saturday 15 May 2010

High Tea at the Lanesborough


I've just got back from a lovely afternoon in the Lanesborough Hotel. A few months ago I came up with a plan 'Ten Things to do Before Leaving London'. As usual the months have flown by and I am now left with mere weeks to cram everything in. Obviously this isn't going to happen and many things on my wish list will have to remain unfulfilled.

Luckily, I got pro-active in January and actually booked a table at the Lanesborough for afternoon tea. I've been meaning to go for Afternoon Tea in a lovely London hotel since moving down here and it's only taken 11 years to get it sorted.

But I'm mighty glad I did.

The Lanesborough is a beautiful, exquisite, tasteful and refined hotel. Their afternoon tea is meant to be amongst the best. So seven of us set off to find out if this accolade is deserved.

Aside from the gorgeous setting the tea and food were absolutely amazing. The tea is served piping hot in solid silver teapots. The teapots are kept on special stands at the side of the table and the waiters top you up on regular intervals. I'm used to people giving me scornful looks when I order my Hippy Rooibos but here it is deemed a delicate and tasteful tea. So there!

The food is presented beautifully and is delicious. There is a lovely array of sandwiches (all with crusts removed) and although it all looks very delicate it is actually really filling.

And then the cakes....Oh my word. The cakes are something to behold. Two tiers on the cake stand full of mouth watering, tasty and no doubt highly calorific goodies. And then they brought out scones, toasted teacakes, clotted cream, lemon curd and strawberry jam. Yum, yum and more yum!

It probably sounds quite extravagant to spend £35 on an Afternoon Tea which is essentially a few sandwiches, cakes and a pot of tea. But the whole experience is so much more than that. It really is luxurious and as a treat I think it's pretty good value.

So there's the first event from my Ten Things to do. Only 9 more to fit in....

No comments:

Post a Comment