Thursday 20 May 2010

Honesty isn't always the best policy

The little people I work with are a constant joy! I can go into work feeling rubbish and one smile, one giggle and one funny statement is enough to banish the rubbish feelings and make me feel like laughing again.

I have been told I look like a princess. I've been told my hair looks pretty. And I've been told I am their 'best teacher'. It's moments like this that help to brighten my day.

However, on the flip side, these wonderful little humans can also be blunt, tactless, and too honest for their own good.

Take today as a case in point.

It's lunch time and the children are lining up. One little cherub is finding it hard to line up without bumping into his classmates. I take him aside for a quiet word and remind him that he needs to do the right thing. I ask if he understands and he nods.

Just as I'm about to get up from the back killing crouch I have adopted he well and truly takes the wind out of my sails.

"Miss Lennon, what is that on your head?"

Now I'm used to being covered in glue, paint and glitter. If I get home without some dubious substance attached to my clothes I consider it a good day at the office. So with some misgiving I turn to my colleague and ask her what's there. She reassures me that (for once), there's nothing there. Feeling relieved, I turn to the Cherub and announce with great confidence

"It's alright sweetheart, there's nothing there"

"Yes there is!" replies cherub with feeling. And to back the statement up, he jabs me in the forehead with his finger. "It's there"

Realisation dawns on me with ego-crushing effect.

There's only one way to reply to such honesty...

"Ah" I say with resignation "That is a wrinkle" And the cherub who is highly satisfied with my answer goes off to eat his lunch.

I on the other hand am a broken woman. Turning to my colleague I whimper "If you need me this afternoon, I'll be in the cupboard - crying, loudly"

I'm sure there's a saying somewhere about not working with children.....

No comments:

Post a Comment