Tuesday 11 May 2010

Precious Bundles

It's official - I'm cross!!!

I work with young children. Precious little bundles who are like little sponges taking in every word, action and event with wide eyed wonder. Don't get me wrong, they can be exhausting. Nothing will tire you out more quickly than a day with a class of 4 and 5 year olds - mentally and physically.

But the benefits outweigh this in my humble opinion. Not a day goes by when they don't make me smile or laugh or enjoy my job. They are funny, smart, engaging, creative and inspiring little beings.

So when I hear about anyone hurting a child (emotionally or physically), it makes my blood run cold. There are so many ways to inspire children to do the right thing without resorting to more draconian methods. For the majority the old school Victorian attitude of children should be seen and not heard or else is thankfully a thing of the past. Unfortunately, for some, this is still the daily reality of their lives.

And my heart bleeds for these children. I have quite literally shed tears over the conditions some of these fragile little things live in.

So far, I have made the choice not to have children. I'm far too selfish at the moment. I enjoy my freedom, my independence, my carefree existence. I love the fact that if friends call me away for a last minute break, the only thing I need to consider is what to pack. But I also know that if I ever do have children I will have to change my way of life. I will have to make sacrifices. I will have to forget my own leisure pursuits in order to nurture theirs. I will have to devote time, energy, love, encouragement and probably a copious amount of money to them. And if that day comes, I'll do the best job I can. What I won't do is take out my resentment on the child. I won't lash out at them because I am sick of having no life. I won't attack them verbally for ruining my life.

Children don't choose to be born, we choose to have them. And having chosen them, the least we can do is bring them up without hurting them. Even if that does mean giving up certain things. Afterall, that's what being a parent is all about.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. As you so rightly pointed out, children don't ask to be born. For them to be raised in fear is appalling and totally unnecessary to say the least. How does that give them a good start in life? It doesn't.

    Being a parent is probably one of the hardest jobs but so, so fullfilling. And yes, there are plenty of sacrifices to make. However, to see your children grow up into well-adjusted, rounded, independant individuals is so rewarding and makes those sacrifices more than worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete