Tuesday 23 February 2010

A Life Less Ordinary

I've often thought that my life is just a series of random events held together by food and sleep. I'm the kind of girl who attracts the drunken nutters on the train, the kind of girl who geeky IT blokes seem determine to pursue while I'd rather meet Rob Pattinson, the kind of girl who gets a fit of giggles at the most inappropriate time, the kind of girl who gets asked for ID at the age of 30 and has to get her dad to vouch for her age - you get the picture.

I went on a date with a guy from Wigan once. I'm sure Wigan is lovely and to be fair so was the guy but his idea of funny and interesting life experiences was so far removed from mine it was painful. "This is a funny story" he'd start an anecdote with. And so I waited for 10 minutes... The tale failed to build in momentum and was so painfully unfunny that to this day, I can't recall any of the details. I like to think I'm a nice, kind, person so when he started his next anecdote with "This is a funny story", I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He's from Wigan, I thought, maybe funny is another way of saying strange there. 10 more minutes rolled by dragging a healthy clump of tumbleweed with it! All I can say is if that's what he calls funny and strange he wants to try living in my world for a while and he'd soon realise the difference. To help him gain some perspective, I told him of my time at Uni and how I had lived with some very 'interesting' people culminating in the lesbian nun who had left the Nunnery to become a teacher and a month later moved her girlfriend (who hadn't left the Nunnery and arrived in full Nun regalia) into our student house. We lived in a tiny village and were the talk of the town. Poor guy looked appalled and that was the end of that not so promising relationship!

I don't know why I should find life so full of amusement, random events and downright strange occurances but I think it's a combination of two things. The first being my ability to find the funny side to most situations and the second could well be the nature of my job.

I'm lucky enough to love my job! Don't get me wrong, if I won the Lottery, I'd pack my bags and set about finding a house with a big enough garage to hold all the classic, fast and beautiful cars that money could buy, but as I don't even purchase lottery tickets I'm not holding my breath. To return to the job, I'm a teacher. More specifically, I teach 4 and 5 year olds. This normally evokes two responses a) - oh how cute! or b) I don't know how you have the patience! My working day generally consists of a mix of the two!

People who work with small children will back me up on this. No two minutes are alike never mind two days. There is NO possibility of getting bored. You have to think on your feet, be prepared to laugh (mostly at yourself) and to be unfazed by anything the day throws at you. Strange, weird, funny, bizarre are all words that could describe most days. These tiny people keep you on your toes in a way that Red Bull can only dream of. Only today, I've been climbing ladders to hang space rockets from the ceiling, singing songs, discussing Tchaicovsky, dealing with arguments, fastening zips, writing menus and reading Charlie and Lola. The conversation is never dull either. I've been given a word for word run down on the Michael Jackson Thriller video (complete with dance moves that would make any Jacko fan proud), been told about a family holiday over half term (that for legal reasons I couldn't possibly disclose) and most thrilling of all, been told by one little darling "Miss Sunshine, I'm going to do a poo in the toilet". Lovely, you crack on!

A life less ordinary - no thanks, I like the one I've got!

No comments:

Post a Comment