Sunday 28 February 2010

A Not So Secret Obsession

My name is Jude and I'm addicted to cars!

My obsession with cars started at an early age. I'm so sad I can re-call all the registration plates for our family cars starting with LCW 93T, (a Mark 2 Cortina in fire engine red) and ending in the current VW. I couldn't wait to get on the road and once the test was passed, and I was given a spare key, I was off!

Since learning to drive, I've owned about 13 cars of varying ages, styles and states. The first being a lovely little X reg Honda Civic in silver whom I called Hetty and was a true delight. However, many of my cars were bought for a few hundred quid from the local auction houses in the North West. When you pay peanuts, you generally get monkeys and some of my cars were no exception. I fondly remember the white C reg VW Jetta whose suspension was so shot it meant you never really knew where you would end up if you drove over a cats eye. And as for the huge and stately E reg Rover 820 in metallic mint and complete with walnut dash; I was definitely the only student to be seen driving one of those around campus! These days I drive a Polo which is nippy, fun and more importantly, small and agile enough to negotiate the London traffic and squeeze into most parking spaces in this mad city.

I think it's fair to say, I love driving! Give me a great car on an open road, sun roof open, music blaring and I am a truly happy bunny. If the all elusive Lottery ticket ever comes up big I would have no hesitation in knowing what to spend it on: an Aston Martin DB5, Jaguar E-type Roadster, Dino Ferrari, VW Kombi and possibly a Bugatti (but I don't want to be greedy). I also have ambitions to fly to Poland, buy an original Fiat 500 and drive it back just because I think it would be a whole heap of fun.

I love watching Motor Sport too. Now there are two distinct camps in the world of fast cars, the first being Formula 1. Now I've been to the Grand Prix in Montreal. It was a great day out, picnic in the sun, great company but the actual race...not so much. Back then Schumaker was constantly on top of the podium and was even contemplating making his own brand of champagne (Ok I made that bit up but I think it would have been a big hit!). This meant that the whole race was, well, you know, a little bit, YAWN!!!

The second camp for fast cars belongs to rallying. Now you're talking! Fast, furious, dirty, muddy, unpredictable and exciting. And as for the noise! Nothing sounds better than a rally car at full throttle. Whereas an F1 car sounds like a whiny woman screeching about her straighteners not working, a rally car sounds like a growling tiger! Guaranteed to get the hairs on the back of my neck standing to attention.

I'm the first to admit, my rally knowledge is limited. I watch it when it's on although coverage seems somewhat sparse compared to when I was a kid and I know of some of the key players. Sebastian Loeb is a driver of phenomenal skill and Mikko Hirvonen is doing his best to snap at his heels. Peta Solberg is also up there and of course I followed the late and great Colin Macrae until his tragic death a few years ago. And a while back, I actually got to sit in a rally car and was taken around the track by Dave Birkbeck at his rally school. Absolute adrenalin rush! I have been dying to get behind the wheel and have a go ever since but various hints that a red letter day voucher for rally school would make the perfect gift for me appear to have fallen on deaf ears (HINT, HINT!).

So imagine my excitement when my mate Simmo (ok so his real name is Tony Simpson and I guess his cover in earlier blogs is now blown!) told me about his latest venture. He has joined forces with Colin Clark and James Muir to set up an on line radio show at totalrally.com. A radio show that is devoted to the fun and excitement of rallying. A radio show that interviews drivers from all around the world. A radio show that keeps you up to date on the rallying calendar and events. And if that wasn't good enough, they also offer banter and comedy (mostly intended but also some accidental yet pure gold moments) to wash it down with. Seriously, what more could you want?

So if you are even remotely interested in rallying and Motor Sport and your Wednesday evenings need to be filled, try tuning in at 8pm UK time. www.totalrally.com - it does exactly what it says on the tin!

No comments:

Post a Comment