Sunday 18 July 2010

More Than This

For once, this gig loving, music devotee is going to write about the former in a negative way!

I know, it's a shock. But unfortunately it has to be done.

Twice, in the last 3 months, I have been let down by the one thing that is normally there through thick and thin. Unbelievably, I have been to two gigs at great venues, with world renowned artists and I have been disappointed. No worse, than disappointed. I have been left feeling apathetic, flat and totally uninterested.

The first of these events was back in May. I'm a huge Weller fan. Over the years he has written some of the the finest songs this country has produced. You Do Something To Me remains one of my all time favourite songs, so much so that if I ever venture into the world of marriage that will be my first dance song and the groom will just have to lump it. But lets return to the gig in hand. Having booked the tickets months in advance, my good mate Warlock and I had been looking forward to a great set in the stunning surroundings of the Albert Hall.

Unfortunately, for us, Mr Weller had other ideas. The musicianship was still there, the stage setting was great, the violin chorus were gorgeous and glam...it should have been brilliant. But it wasn't! Fair enough, he wanted to promote the new album but the fans expect some of the old classics too. When eventually Weller broke into You Do Something To Me, Warlock and I exchanged a look and thought all would be forgiven. But no even this was a disaster. The stunning solo that is the piece de resistance in this sublime little song was completely and utterly left out!!! Why? Why? Why?

Bewildered and a little annoyed we left the gig early! Unheard of!

And now to the second gig of doom....Yesterday found me in the beautiful Victoria Park in East London. The sun was shining, I was in the company of my gig going London mates Huw and Rich and the headliners were Roxy Music. Having enjoyed a truly amazing and energetic set from Grand Master Flash we headed to the main stage ready to be wowed by Mr Ferry and co.

Again, the setting was great (outdoor gigs really do have a great atmosphere), the crowd were ready to kick back and enjoy a set from an internationally successful group. The opening song was ok but the rest of the set consisted of an hour of lesser known, dreary, uninspiring numbers. There's no doubt, Bryan Ferry can still sing and he still has bundles of charisma. And, yes the saxophonist got to showcase his very real talent but we wanted the old favourites. Where was Love is the Drug? Avalon? Dance Away? Disgusted, I left early, again!

And this is exactly why these two amazing artists failed their audiences. Loyal and long standing fans should not be treated this way. Sure, show off your new material - afterall we are likely to be the ones buying it. But please, please give us something in return.

A great set list should contain a mix of old and new that is guraranteed to make the crowd want more. Well certainly 'more than this'!

No comments:

Post a Comment